Have you ever had a child wishing to “cook the dinner” not just “put the stuff together”? In other words, they want to actually cook something, not simply assemble the ingredients (as in a salad, pizza topping, etc.). Here’s a quick and easy pasta dish that will not only fulfill a child’s need to actually ‘cook something’, it will also fulfill a family’s appetite.
Please note you need a good sized saucepan to add the ingredients into – as your family will want to come back for seconds, and thirds… Depending on your child’s age, they may need a stronger arm (yours) to stir the ingredients once they are all added to the saucepan.
Quick and Easy Pasta
500g spiral pasta
½ cup olive oil
6 large tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup green olives (minus seeds)
2 tablespoons fresh basil
½ cup flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
1. Roughly chop tomatoes, olives, basil leaves and flat-leaf parsley.
2. Cook pasta and drain.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large saucepan.
4. Add tomato and garlic.
5. Stir until tomato softens.
6. Stir in pasta, olives, basil, parsley, chilli sauce and remaining oil.
7. Continue to stir until heated throughout.
8. Serve and congratulate your child on their cooking achievement!