Traditional Kitchens and Home Baking
Beautifully designed traditional kitchens often bring to mind home-baked goodies and warm breads dripping with curls of butter. Here is a recipe for a bread that will fill your traditional kitchen with warmth and the scent of lemons.
Lemon Pepper Bread
2 cups self-raising flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
45g chopped butter
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons white vinegar
3/4 cup milk
1. Pre-heat oven to 210Â° C.
2. Oil two oven trays.
3. Sift flour and salt into a large bowl, and add lemon rind.
4. Using fingertips, rub butter into the flour mix until it resembles breadcrumbs.
5. Stir in chives and cheese.
6. Stir vinegar into milk.
7. Add vinegar mix to flour mixture and stir to a soft dough. Add more milk if the dough is too stiff.
8. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface.
9. Knead until smooth.
10. Divide dough into two parts.
11. Place on trays and press into circles approx. 2.5cm thick.
12. Score each with a knife into 8 wedges by cutting lightly into the top of the bread.
13. Dust lightly with flour.
14. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until a deep golden colour and sounds hollow when tapped on the base.
15. Serve warm with butter.